Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Cluetrain Manifesto and Its Effect on Advertising

#2 Markets consist of human beings, not demographic sectors. (95 Theses)

This statement is one which I believe presents a challenge to advertisers in this day and age. Approaching a market as individuals and not just a collective demographic of people is something which I believe the advertising industry is attempting to achieve. However, I find it unusual that in advertising courses and even advertising firms, demographic studies are still researched and applied to campaigns. I took a course in advertising last semester. A good majority of the class was spent on identifying demographics and learning how to cater to those specific demographics.

Which brings me to this thought: Is it possible to cater to individuals or does there have to be some element of generalization (demographic analysis)?




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe social medias allow you to cater to both. Because we intentionally and unintentionally put so much data about ourselves on the internet it is easier for an advertiser to decide what we like.
They can even use RSS for this.
For example, on facebook i have listed that I am a fan of Seinfeld. Some of the advertising on the side of facebook have directly acknowledged that by putting up corresponding adverts.

Ashley Annette said...

n response to your mentioning of Facebook advertisers acknowledging your interests and targeting you with that knowledge: Do you feel that advertisers are violating your privacy by doing so? Also, are you more likely to respond negatively to a product or service if the company chooses to advertise in this way?

For me, I have to say the first time I noticed this happening I was off-put, to say the least. I am still not completely comfortable with the idea of my private information being used in such a way to target my consumer interests. However, I am aware that I have chosen to display my information on social sites such as Facebook. I have even found this form of advertisement helpful at times because the information is directly catered to my interests.